Sunday 5 December 2010

A Gig and A Crit

This weekend has been inspiring in many ways! Last night I had a 30 Seconds To Mars gig which was an amazing night.

I'm always inspired by music but particularly by actually watching musicians and the raw talent and focus that they put into every performance. As a naturally shy person I find it remarkable how easily they feel comfortable in front of thousands of people. Lyrics that I have fallen in love with on my ipod seem all the more magical when I actually witness them coming from the person who brought them to life.

I've never been to a gig at Manchester Central before and the venue is enormous. One of the things that has always terrified me in gigs is the actual crowds, the way they all surge forward when the band take to the stage and the way that personal space becomes a luxury rather than something to be taken for granted. Despite all that and despite the fact that my throat ached from singing and my body ached from the crush I came away feeling more alive than I had in a long time.

The Crit Group today met in the basement of Starbucks. It was a small intimate turn out which was good given that Manchester has been hit with the Christmas shopping frenzy and every street was reminiscent of the gig in the general push of the crowds. Whether I submit work or not I always come away from the group feeling inspired to write, feeling the need to go home and pick up my netbook and get some words down. Sitting round a table with people who share the love of writing is inspiring in itself, talking about agents and submissions focuses me on actually writing and that is something I have to be grateful for.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment