Monday 9 January 2012

THE BIG BAD BLOCK

2012 has started with an unwelcome and quite remarkable patch of writer's block. Whenever I watch television and characters go into slow motion we always shout "oh no, bad time to get stuck in a patch of slow mo". Well I'm stuck in a patch of writer's block.

I downed tools just before Christmas to take a break. I've come to the point where I know there is something missing from my writing but I can't quite put my finger on it and until I can I need to step away from the netbook and do some soul searching. So then for Christmas I got a Kindle. I thought that was perfect, I'd do more reading and see if I might find the missing magic in someone-else's writing. Surely the puzzle piece that I can't find might have been used somewhere else. I just have to find it. That doesn't seem to be working either.

I have however read Reckless by Cornelia Funke. A magnificent novel that really pulled me deep into it and kept me there until the end. Suffering with an extremely short attention span has long been a curse when it comes to reading so to actually keep me hooked so completely is no mean task. If I could write a book like Reckless I'd be happy, but alas it's a different genre and style to my writing so the puzzle piece was not to be found there.

Now I'm reading The Hobbit which is a book I read when I was younger and remember enjoying. I am enjoying it even more this time around. I started it this morning and was about a fifth of the way through by the time I made it to work!

Unfortunately the writer's block is still there and nothing seems to be able to budge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment