Friday 17 June 2011

Reminded

One of the most important lessons that I have learnt recently as a writer is that it isn't just about our writing, its about us too as people. We need to be likeable, appealing, fun and above all else easy to deal with. Sometimes I'm none of those things. I'm angry, I'm bitter and I'm frustrated but deep down I'm actually the easiest person in the world to deal with because I'm polite, thoughtful and I hate upsetting people! Fact.

What I decided to do was write myself as a character! I'd be tall, dark hair, big eyes, long eyelashes. I'd have a favourite catchphrase of "awesome doofus". I'd sit in Starbucks tapping away on my netbook in a world of my own. I'd be a daydreamer, prone to internalising everything. I'd suffer from M.E. and be constantly weary. A collector of broken things because I hate seeing imperfect things and believing nobody will want them; i'm the person who buys the dog ornament with the missing ear or the gingerbread man with the missing smartie button. I'd believe in one soul mate and be waiting around for them. I'd believe my soul mate would have purple eyes. I'd love Victorian things and antique looking clothes with lace and ribbon. I'd collect antique things like old Victorian umbrellas and hats with little black veils. I'd have a pile of shoeboxes on top of my wardrobe filled with memories and my old journals that make me cringe when I read them. I'd love my pets and confide all my secrets to my dog Rex. I'd have about forty pairs of shoes but only really wear one. I'd have blue wellies up to the knee that I'd walk directly at puddles when I was wearing. I'd have my Nana's wedding ring which I'd always wear. I'd have a handbag filled with bits and pieces I didn't really need to carry around with me like the wooden dolphin my Dad carved out of a bit of wood and the bean filled lizard he bought me when I was about twelve. My ipod would be full of music that didn't go together yet when I pressed shuffle it all suddenly started to make sense. I'd have a compulsive personality where I'd throw myself into an idea without really thinking but love it deeply until I lost interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment